Lynch & Co. has particular expertise in the technology and intellectual property legal sectors, but also has experience in a wide range of commercial legal matters gained over 26 years including:
- Commercial contracts with suppliers, customers and other third parties, including terms of trade
- Joint Ventures
- Software development, licensing and distribution agreements as well as other intellectual property supply and licensing agreements
- Intellectual property law
- Shareholder agreements
- Business sales and purchases
- Corporate restructuring
- Capital raising and other financing arrangements
- Company & commercial law advice
- Commercial leases and other commercial property matters
- PPSA (or Personal Property Securities) advice
- Technology & telecommunications law
- Commercial dispute resolution
- Exporting related legal issues
- Fair Trading, Competition & Consumer law
- Energy law
- Advice to off-shore entities looking to do business in New Zealand
- Employment law
If additional external support is required, Lynch & Co. has the contacts to assist and will manage that delivery as seamlessly as possible. Keeping things as simple as possible is a key consideration for all aspects of service delivery. Below are some examples of work undertaken by Lynch & Co. or it’s personnel:
- Hundreds of commercial, technology, intellectual property and telecommunications legal matters over a nine year period for one of the two largest telecommunications companies in New Zealand, including handling many of this client’s “top ten” project based legal matters;
- Supply and licensing advice and assistance for a key pharmaceutical importer and distributor in New Zealand including its dealings with Pharmac and other third parties;
- Dozens of corporate, commercial & technology matters for a large, fast growth, muti-national tech company based on Auckland’s North Shore;
- Major joint venture and supply contracts for a large New Zealand construction company;
- Advice and assistance to one of New Zealand’s largest listed companies on the renewal of its core group software licensing agreements;
- Advice to other New Zealand and Australian law firms and their clients on technology and intellectual property legal matters;
- Acting for the Auckland District Law Society Inc. on technology and intellectual property legal matters;
- Commercial, technology and intellectual property matters for several of the UK’s largest listed companies;
- Regulatory and commercial advice and assistance to key participants in the New Zealand energy sector;
- Many successful commercial dispute resolution matters for corporate clients; and
- General corporate and commercial legal work for a wide range of commercial clients.
Some law firms have long self-serving “testimonial” sections on their websites. We prefer to keep client related information confidential. However, we have reputable clients who would gladly endorse our services and we would happily supply contact details for those people to any new clients wishing to gain this assurance. In addition to the above “categorised” areas of practice, Lynch & Co. offers the following services on an agreed fixed fee basis:
- Commercial legal training courses for middle management personnel – at a fixed half day rate (or longer if required);
- Business sale readiness review report (legal issues). It is good business practice to be “sale ready” at all times. This means having your “business house” in order on at least the majority, or the major legal issues that a possible buyer is likely to want addressed. This will assist with ensuring that the best possible sale price is achieved and will speed up the sale process.
- Legal contracts “smart archiving” service – being a database of all of your current contracts, with key dates and clauses included in the database for quick and easy future reference. We would meet with you to scope the job and then quote a price to you.
- Contract review and preparation work (excluding negotiation time).
- Tailored, fixed fee, outsourced commercial legal services.
- Other services as may be agreed.
Sean Lynch is the founder and principal of Lynch & Co. He has over 26 years of corporate and commercial legal experience gained in New Zealand and in the UK with both large city law firms and in-house for large multi-national companies and other businesses. Sean was a partner for many years in the Corporate & Commercial department of a large city law firm in Auckland before deciding to leave to start Lynch & Co. Sean’s qualifications, skills and experience include:
- Gaining an Honours Degree in Law from the University of Otago, winning the top mark in Contract Law;
- Gaining a Masters Degree in Commercial Law with first class honours from the University of Auckland;
- Becoming a certified and experienced “Prince2” IT project manager;
- Successfully handling many large legal transactions for large commercial clients, and delivering key advice, whilst working at large law firms both in New Zealand and in the UK (to partner level);
- Working in-house for large companies both in New Zealand and in the UK to deliver timely and useful commercial legal services for business stakeholders;
- Acting for many significant clients, including many technology companies (large and small), one of the world’s leading telecommunications companies, banks, manufacturers, exporters, retailers, pharmaceutical suppliers, energy companies, construction companies, local authorities, and clients in many other industry sectors; and
- Lastly but most importantly, listening to client requirements and tailoring service delivery and cost (as required) to meet those requirements.
Sean attended Rosmini College on Auckland’s North Shore and continues to live on the North Shore with his wife and three children. Our Terms of Engagement, including Client Care provisions, are available upon request. Lynch & Co. holds professional indemnity cover.